Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Is it accessible?


I spend a fair amount of time each day thinking about breaking barriers; no, not like breaking the sound barrier or finding the edge of relationship boundaries or climbing high mountain peaks. The boundaries I am ever seeking to push back include the following list:

  1. how to make the next camping trip happen
  2. making my hands stay on the handle of my kayak paddle
  3. a less cumbersome gripping arrangement for my handcycle
  4. getting into your house on my independent power when you invite me over
  5. how to access my own file cabinet
  6. having an office arrangement that allows organized and accessible efficiency such that would show up in the photo files of Better Homes and Gardens
  7. trying to dispel the myth that this wheelchair user has nothing to do
  8. dreaming of ways to use my hands to turn out a you-gotta-have-it piece of art such as a simple carving
  9. having my own hang-out sufficient to safely circle a few wheelchair (and able bodied) Betty's and Blokes around the warmth of a council fire where discussion eventually swings around to that twinkling-of-an-eye therapy being put together for our future (see 1 Cor. 15:51-53)
  10. hanging out on the limb of a wheelchair accessible treehouse
  11. cranking around with my arm power from the recumbent seat of a tandem trike that couples me with the leg power of an energetic friend
  12. enjoy to an even greater extent the scenery on this journey that has funneled me onto a spinal cord injury detour
  13. re-entry into the world of gainful employment -- I'm thankful for the annual six digit disability income, if you count the two digits on the right side of the dot, but am eager to pay taxes again... yes, you heard me correctly!

So much of what you hear me say here will revolve around this list. So off to a Leisure Services Advisory Board meeting I go.

1 comment:

Darron Boyd said...

Looks Good! I haven't had a chance to post any pictures on mine so you're ahead of me.